Thursday, June 25, 2009

Garden and other farm things...

Yesterday, DH and I went strawberry picking at a local farm. He had never done this; I had gone many times in the past with DS. We had a fun time and came home with two big flats of beautiful strawberries. However, you need to do something with them and fast as they really don't keep. I'm not sure how the store bought strawberries look so nice in the store for so long--not natural. So, I did four things with them. #1 Strawberry pie (almost gone now), #2 making 4 quarts of strawberry vinegar, #3 made 7 half pints of strawberry rhurbarb jam (in photo above) and #4, sliced and sugared the rest and froze in freezer bags.


Here are some dusky photos of some of the garden. The cabbage is getting huge and the cilantro seems to grow 5 inches a day it seems! The tomatoes are going crazy. At the right are sunflowers, all re-seeded from last year's flowers.



On the sewing front, I've been doing more machine embroidery for various gifts this week.
I did get my first fabric order online in a LONG time from Gorgeous Fabrics. I'll post those goodies next time.

4 comments:

  1. You're making me hanker for the simple life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you make strawberry vinegar? Is it like a salad dressing? Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what is strawberry vinegar?? I made a bunch of strawberry rhubarb jam, too. We LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will post the recipe. Thanks everyone for your comments!!!!

    ReplyDelete