Friday, June 26, 2009

Strawberry vinegar

I made this strawberry vinegar a few years ago and it was fabulous! I am making it now--it is a process but not hard.

The recipe is from the www.calstrawberry.com website.
Beth Gee's Strawberry Vinegar
Fill a jar nearly full of rinsed, whole strawberries--do not hull (I used quart canning jars). Cover with white vinegar and seal. Let stand for 10 days; strain; add to liquid (on day 10) 1.5 cups of sugar per pint. Boil gently a few minutes. Cool and bottle for use.

When I last made this, I used it on salads with a bit of olive oil to taste.

This evening, I picked what was left of the cherries on one of our three cherry trees. The birds make a quick feast of them. I think this year we have more than last year and they are getting full--giving me a chance to pick some for us! I was able to pick about one half plastic grocery sack.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I think that even I could do this. It sounds so delicious! I love strawberry anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Julia, it is wonderful! It has been at least 6 years since I've made it--too long.

    ReplyDelete