Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Shopping and sewing

I hope to start my "trench coat" tonight. It will be out of Butterick 4865, double breasted view, lengthened a bit with the belt. Well, it is Spring Break and I am able to stay up a little later and sleep in a little bit.
I did manage to stop by Hancock fabrics today and acquire some new fabric: a turquoise pique for McCalls 5701;
It has been really nice to get some household chores done, like oil changes for the cars, get the dog washed/teeth cleaning/shots, and do some shopping for a few new things. In particular, I was looking for new denim pillow shams for the bed. Our current ones are very faded and a bit thread bare. I looked high and low at all the major stores and did not find any. What I did find, maybe in a solid twill plain sham, was overpriced cheap product from China. Then it dawned on me, I have some cool embossed blue denim that I just got from the Puyallup SewExpo. How hard could it be? So, this afternoon, I made two shams.

The actual color is darker than the photo and the embossed pattern is very hard to see. A few days ago, I brought out my embroidery machine (Kenmore 19001) and embroidered a couple kitchen towels. I had totally forgot about doing those kinds of things for the past couple years. And, in the middle of these two projects, I made sweatpants for my son. The hem is about a half an inch shorter than I measured but I think they are long enough. I'll post a photo of them an other time. This is one reason why I sew. I can make what I need and have the quality be much higher than what you see in the store. I see quality of goods going down and the prices going up. Because I sew, I don't shop for clothes and home bedding as much so when I do go shopping, it's kind of a little shock to me at the time. My DH and DS were shopping yesterday too, for shoes. Again, the quality and price really have changed in the last few years. I guess if I could make shoes, I would!!












I am still learning how to post photos around what I type. The blogger wants to put the photos at the top of the post and then I have been cutting and pasting my post around them. So, if this is a little choppy, you know why!

1 comment:

  1. I really like that Butterick pattern. I have it too. I made myself a jacket from it, but since it's sized s, m, l, etc, I made a size too big (before the PP fitting class so I never finished it because it was rather big on me). I still want to make another one - it's such a great style.

    Sounds like you're being so productive in the sewing dept, I wish I could say the same. This week I've been preparing for a garage sale I am running this weekend. Today went well in spite of the local newspaper mucking up my ad. Hopefully tomorrow will go equally as well.

    And yep, total culture shock happens when shopping for sure. Enjoy your weekend!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete